According to the sources, the country's Homeland Security Ministry said, Floods caused by incessant downpours have left 23 people dead across Malawi.
In a statement on Friday, the Ministry of Natural Resources, Energy and Mining said the figures are from preliminary reports collected from various districts including Blantyre.
"The department has deployed search and rescue teams in collaboration with the Malawi Defence Force, Malawi Police Service and Malawi Red Cross to help in the rescue operation," the statement said.
The department has also deployed 23 trucks of relief items to be distributed in the affected districts, it said.
In one affected district, Mulanje, camps had been set up for displaced people, Commissioner Charles Makanga told AFP.
According to the country's Meteorological Department, sporadic downpours are due to continue until the middle of next week.