On Thursday, Iran began restoring internet access in the capital Tehran and a number of provinces, according to local news agencies and residents, after a days-long nationwide shutdown meant to help stifle unrest over fuel price hikes.
According to the Revolutionary Guards, calm had returned across Iran, state TV reported, after protests in which Amnesty International said over 100 demonstrators had been killed by security forces, a figure rejected as "speculative" by the government.
"The internet is being gradually restored in the country," the semi-official news agency Fars said, quoting unidentified informed sources as saying.
Fars quoted unnamed sources as saying the National Security Council that had ordered the shutdown approved reactivating the internet in "some areas and, according to reports so far, fixed-line internet has been restored in Hormozgan, Kermanshah, Arak, Mashhad, Qom, Tabriz, Hamadan and Bushehr provinces, and parts of Tehran".
"We again have the internet as of an hour ago," a retired engineer who declined to be named said by telephone from Tehran. The internet blockage made it difficult for protesters to post videos on social media to generate more support and also to obtain reliable reports on the extent of the unrest.