Britain’s Prince Philip gives up driving licence after crash

Last Updated: Feb 10 2019 11:30

According to the officials, Buckingham Police said on Saturday, Queen Elizabeth’s 97-year-old husband Prince Philip has voluntarily given up his driving licence after a crash last month.

The royal police said in a statement, “After careful consideration, The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence,”

The other driver, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee and a 45-year-old woman passenger in the car, which also had a nine-month-old baby on board, sustained a broken wrist.

Norfolk Police confirmed that Philip voluntarily surrendered his licence to officers on Saturday. It said it would forward the licence to Britain’s licencing authority, the DVLA.

“The investigation file for the collision has been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service for their consideration,” it added.

There is no legal age in Britain to stop driving, but drivers over 70 must renew their licences every three years.