DUBAI: Iranian state media reported, At least three people were killed and 24 others were injured in a suicide car bomb attack on the police headquarters in Iran’s south-eastern port city of Chabahar on Thursday.
Television also reported shooting in the area, located in the region of Sistan-Baluchestan, which is home to a Sunni Muslim minority in the largely Shi’ite country and has long been plagued by violence from both drug smugglers and separatists.
The state news agency IRNA said some 24 people had been wounded. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Mohammad Hadi Marashi, deputy governor for security affairs, told state television that two police officers had been killed.
Videos posted on Twitter, purportedly from Chabahar, showed thick smoke rising from the area. Reuters could not verify their authenticity.
The attack was claimed by a Sunni separatist group called Jundullah (Soldiers of God)
Chabahar is a free trade zone and the site of an Indian-backed port complex being developed as part of a new transportation corridor for landlocked Afghanistan.
The Marine Corps added in a statement, “The circumstances of the mishap are currently under investigation. Japanese search and rescue aircraft immediately responded to aid in recovery.