Elvis Costello cancels tour after tumour surgery

Resham Gupta
Last Updated: Jul 06 2018 15:31

MUSIC- Singer-songwriter Elvis Costello has been forced to cancel his upcoming tour dates after he underwent a surgery to remove a very aggressive tumour.

Though he underwent the surgery in May, he went ahead with his June tour dates but now his health has started troubling him.

Announcing the cancellation, Costello said, “The spirit has been more than willing. But I have to now accept it is going to take longer than I would have wished for me to recover my full strength."

"Post-surgical guidelines for such surgery recommend three weeks to four weeks recovery depending on whether you are returning to a desk job or an occupation that involves physical work or travel.

"It was impossible to judge how this advisory would line up with the demands on a travelling musician, playing 90-minute to two-hour plus performances on a nightly basis but by the time we reached the Edinburgh Playhouse [on 24 June], I was almost fooled into thinking that normal service had been resumed.

"The spirit has been more than willing but I have to now accept that it is going to take longer than I would have wished for me to recover my full strength. Therefore, I must reluctantly cancel all the remaining engagements of this tour,” he said in a detailed post.

Costello’s 31st studio album is scheduled to be released in October.